She is the eldest of the famed Phogat sisters, the first Indian woman to win the Commonwealth Games wrestling and the first Indian woman wrestler to qualify for the Olympics. This is none other than India’s very own Dangal Girl- Geeta Phogat!
Lets check out the stunning story of how Geeta rose on to the World’s Wrestling map…
|Full Name||Geeta Phogat|
|Age||30 (as of 2018)|
|Home Town||Balali, Haryana|
|Height||5 ft (1.52 m)|
|Weight Category||62 kg|
|Coach||Mahavir Singh Phogat|
Geeta Phogat Biography
When she was born, her mother was disappointed because she was a girl. Today, her parents couldn’t be prouder. Her father has time and again said that his daughters are no less than any son. The road till this acceptance and change of perception wasn’t easy for Geeta or her family. The Phogat family is a ray of hope in a state where girls are killed even before they are born. The achievements of the Phogat sisters have brought a revolution in Haryana. Geeta has spearheaded this revolution with determination. Today we take a look at her exciting journey.
Geeta Phogat – The Wrestling Journey
Geeta Phogat had a truly golden start to her wrestling career. She won the gold in freestyle wrestling at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship of 2009. She became the first Indian woman to bring home the Commonwealth Games wrestling gold in 2010. She achieved this amazing feat in the freestyle 55 kg. It also made her the celebrated golden girl of India.
Geeta wasn’t going to be satisfied with just a Commonwealth gold medal. She worked extremely hard to secure a podium finish at the Summer Olympics 2012. Unfortunately, she couldn’t win the repechage round. Even though she lost, she made history. Geeta is the first Indian grappler to qualify for the Olympics.
|2012||Strathcona County||55 kg||Bronze|
|2010||Delhi, India||55 kg||Gold|
|2015||Doha, Qatar||58 kg||Bronze|
|2009||Jalandhar, India||55 kg||Gold|
|2011||Melbourne, Australia||55 kg||Gold|
|2013||Johannesburg, South Africa||59 kg||Silver|
Every athlete has ups and downs. After a stunning start to her career, Geeta is going through a slump due to her injury. After getting a glimpse of her life story, one thing is for sure, she is not going to let one hindrance affect her. That is not how Mahavir Phogat has trained his daughters. We are sure that Geeta will bounce back soon. And when she does, dangal ho jaye ga!
Mahavir Singh Phogat – The Man Behind Geeta’s Rise
It wasn’t an easy road though. Geeta’s father faced a lot of criticism and ridicule when he decided to train his daughters. Their entire family was ostracized by village patriarchs. However, this did not stop Mahavir phogat or his fierce daughters. Slowly and steadily the villagers came around. Geeta and Babita’s success has helped them accept the new norm. In fact, some of them have started sending their own daughters for training as well.
Interesting Facts about Geeta Phogat
- Her father is an extremely strict coach. He takes care of his daughters’ diet, regime, and conduct very seriously. Geeta has time and again called him a taskmaster.
- Initially, there were not any girls around. So, Geeta used to train with boys.
- Geeta is serving as DSP in Haryana Police since October 2016.
- The movie Dangal is based on the lives of the Phogat sisters. While Aamir Khan played the family patriarch, Fatima Sana Shaikh essayed Geeta’s role. The movie helped the family garner a lot of recognition. In an interview with The Times of India, Geeta expresses her feelings on becoming a household name only because of the movie.
- Geeta Phogat has participated in the television show Fear Factor. She performed really well on the show that tests physical as well as mental prowess. Unfortunately, she was eliminated halfway through.
- Geeta’s net worth is around a staggering 24 crores!
- She was awarded the Arjuna Award in the year 2012.
- She loves to travel and relaxes by going for a good run.
Geeta Phogat Net Worth
According to FinApp, Geeta Phogat’s net worth stands at ₹ 24 crores, of which personal properties make Rs. 4 crores.